While looking for something else, I found Hank’s place with a wonderful meme about Five Crazy Things You Have ACTUALLY Done That Only a Gardening Addict Would Admit. I will attempt to list only five of mine; any true gardening addict knows an accurate list will approach infinity.
1. Long ago as a young first time home owner and budding garden addict, I was offered a free tree from a friend’s woodlot which was to be bulldozed into horse pasture. I think she meant a sapling.
I selected a three tree clump which, after the trunk lid on the Fiat was removed, extended a car length in front of the car. The trip home was slow as I had to ride in the trunk with the root ball and yell instructions. The main one was to slow down so the sail like tree did not take out power lines as we tried to drive under them.
After planting the tree, all the leaves died and dropped. I told the tree that I would make it into toothpicks if it did not leaf out again, which it sensibly did.
2. I once ordered twelve dozen bulbs and promptly injured my trowel hand. When the hand healed, snow had fallen but the ground was not frozen. Like any other perfectly intelligent gardening addict, I shoveled the snow off the flower beds, put my legs in garbage bags, knelt down, and planted the bulbs.
3. I heavily mulched with grass clippings almost every square inch of our two town lots more than once. I have solicited lawn clippings from the cemetery, a resort, and lawn services, which dump them on my property. The chopped up plastic flowers in the clippings from the cemetery are slightly annoying, but harmless. I sometimes mulch by moonlight.
4. To replace a small greenhouse destroyed by wind, I brought home a hoop house nearly as large as our home. I am happy to say I am still married after that.
5. As a professional artist I paint flowers for our gallery. In order to have the few dozen flowers I paint each year, I grow thousands of them. I see nothing illogical about this.
Copyright © Lexi Sundell 2007. All Rights Reserved.